Have you been injured in a slip-and-fall incident? You may be wondering if this is something you should sue over, and if so, you may be wondering if you can you handle the lawsuit yourself or if you should hire an attorney. At first your case may seem pretty cut and dry, but slip-and-fall cases can actually be more complex than you realize. Here are 5+ reasons why you should consider hiring an attorney.
Why you should hire a lawyer
Don’t leave it up to chance if you have an injury because of someone else’s negligence. Hire a lawyer because:
1. It can be very difficult to prove that the property owner was negligent. A lawyer will know how to ask the right questions and how to investigate the incident to determine exactly why and how the fall happened.
2. Property owners have certain rules they have to follow for everyone’s safety. A lawyer knows and understands these rules, and any state, federal, or local laws that the property owner may have violated.
3. A lawyer can properly document the losses you’ve suffered since your fall and will also know how to quantify any pain and suffering you’ve endured. Your lawyer knows what medical bills and records need to be collected, as well as information and documentation about work missed and hardship you have suffered.
4. A lawyer knows what experts to call to prove your claim, to show without a doubt that the property owner did something wrong (or neglected to do what they were supposed to).
5. If you represent yourself, it can be very difficult to get the defendant and their insurance company to take you seriously – they may not even return your phone calls! Obviously, this makes it very difficult to get the amount of compensation you deserve, or any compensation at all.
A slip-and-fall case may seem very cut and dry, but there can be a lot involved in proving a property owner was at fault for your fall. Don’t go it alone – call a trusted and experienced attorney. Call Patrick D. Troxler, Esq., at 240-903-0119, for a free initial consultation today.