Get a Police Report After Your Car Accident

Getting a police report following a car accident is one of the most important things you can do, especially if you’re considering pursuing a personal injury claim for your injuries and any losses caused by that accident.

According to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), there are over 100,000 car accidents every year in the Old Line State, with about 580 of those resulting in at least one fatality. On average, each year, over 36,000 accidents involve some type of injury, and around 66,000 motor vehicle crashes result in property damage of one or more vehicles. On average, 635 people are killed, and approximately 55,000 people are injured every year in Maryland car accidents.

Police Accident Report: Crucial Piece of Evidence

The police accident report is usually the first piece of evidence in any car accident claim. Police officers are very adept at evaluating the scene of the accident, speaking to the parties involved, and questioning witnesses to determine who was at fault. While insurance adjusters gather their own evidence and make their own reports, the police report is one of the most crucial pieces of evidence in any car accident personal injury claim. For this reason, it’s absolutely imperative that you acquire the police report of your car accident by any of the ways afforded to you: mail, electronically, or in person.

  • To request a car accident by mail, you will contact the Central Records Unit to ascertain the report is available and to find out the amount of the fee to get it. Next, download the appropriate form, fill it out, and mail it with a money order or check to the “Maryland Transportation Authority” or MDTA. Please include a stamped, self-addressed, business-size envelope with that form and your payment. Please note that the report will not be available until seven days after your accident. The mailing address is:Maryland Transportation Authority Police
    Attn: Central Records Unit
    4330 Broening Highway
    Baltimore, MD 21222
  • You may also make an email request to [email protected]. Fill out a report request form and send it via email or include as much information as possible in the body of your email. Your report will be sent to your email address as a PDF, for which there is no charge. However, larger files, specialty requests, and detailed collision reports must be mailed; you must pay a nominal fee for the cost of searching and duplicating the documents.
  • You may also get a car accident report by going in person to the Central Records Unit. The MDTA asks that you call before going to get the report to ensure it’s available and learn what the report fee is, which must be paid by check or money order.

If you have been injured in a car accident in Maryland, your first priority should be medical care. However, you should also make a point of gathering evidence such as the contact information for any witnesses as well as the police report of the collision. An experienced personal injury lawyer like Patrick Troxler will help you through the maze of insurance claims and, if appropriate, gathering evidence for filing a personal injury lawsuit.

Please call us today to get started.

Contact Our Firm

* All required fields.

Scroll to Top