What do you do if you’re injured on the job?

safety helmet is placed on working platform of pumping unit in oil field Have you been injured on the job? You may be confused as to what you should do if you have. Although you don’t have to hire an attorney to file for workers’ compensation, it might be a good idea in the end. Here is some information on the steps you should take if you’ve been injured on the job and some reasons why you might consider hiring an attorney.

What is workers’ compensation?

Workers’ compensation provides benefits if you have been injured on the job. These benefits may include lost wages if you miss out on work while you recover from your injury, coverage for medical care, and permanent disability benefits if you are left with long-lasting effects from your injury.

There are some things you should do if you have been injured and you believe you are entitled to workers’ compensation:

1. Get medical treatment immediately, and let your health care provider know that your injury was sustained on the job so that this can be documented.

2. In writing, and as soon as possible, inform your employer that you have been injured on the job. Document what happened and what injuries you sustained in detail. Your employer will give you forms to fill out, and you may need to file a claim with the workers’ compensation agency in your state.

3. Make sure that you follow your doctor’s instructions for recovery.

You may have questions or concerns after an injury you sustained at work – an experienced attorney can help you to make sure that you take all the necessary steps to file your claim properly. And, if your employer files your claim with their insurance company and it is denied, a lawyer can help you to file an appeal.

The odds are good that if you’ve been injured on the job, your employer and their insurance company won’t just hand over a check, and they will do all they can to limit any compensation you do get. If you need help filing a claim or fighting for the compensation you deserve, call Patrick D. Troxler, Esq., an experienced workers’ compensation attorney, for a free initial consultation. Call 301-709-7195 today.

Contact Our Firm

* All required fields.

Accessibility Toolbar

Scroll to Top